Chief, General Litigation Section
Peter Haskel joined the Dallas City Attorney's Office in 1999. His practice focuses on complex civil litigation, often relating to telecommunications and public utilities controversies and bankruptcy as well as other technological and financial issues.
- Columbia School of Law
- Columbia College
Affiliations & Activities
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas, June, 1989; Also New York Bar February 1975
- Also admitted to practice in United States District Courts in the Northern, Western, and Southern Districts of Texas, and Southern and Eastern Districts of N.Y.; U.S. Court of Claims; U.S. Courts of Appeals for Second, Fifth , District of Columbia, and Military Circuits; and U.S. Supreme Court.
- Member of the State Bar of Texas Committee on Administration of Rules of Evidence.
- Chair of the International Municipal Lawyers Association (“IMLA”) Technology Law Section and of IMLA’s e-discovery and legal hold working group.
- Runs an online discussion group, CityAttorneyTech, on which approximately 230 member attorneys and some support staff throughout the U.S. and Canada who represent local governments can discuss technology issues.
- Regular columnist for IMLA’s semi-monthly Municipal Lawyer Magazine.
- Former co-chair of the Dallas Bar Association (“DBA”) Legal Ethics Committee (2012-13).
- Member of the DBA Government Lawyers Section.
- Member of Sedona Conference’s Working Group 1 (WG1: Electronic Document Retention and Production).
- Former member of the Dallas Subcommittee of the Texas Supreme Court’s Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee.
- Former Faculty Member, Texas Municipal Court Education Center
Publications & Presentations
- Frequent lecturer, including presentations for programs sponsored by the FBI National Academy, University of Texas Law School, State Bar of Texas Advanced Real Estate Program, Agricultural Law Section, and Government Law Section; IMLA;Texas City Attorneys Association; Texas County and District Clerks Association; Texas Municipal Court Education Center; DBA Government Lawyers Section and Legal Ethics Committee; Dallas City Attorney’s Office: City Attorneys Association of Kansas, Arkansas City Attorneys Association; and Tennessee Municipal Attorneys Association; and served as a panelist in programs sponsored by the National Association of Attorneys General; National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors; and American Bar Association Business Law Section Banking Committee and Government Law Section.
- Public Sector: Assistant Texas Attorney General (deputy chief, financial litigation division and head, anti-domestic terrorism task force), Special Assistant U.S. Attorney (W.D. Texas); Special Prosecutor (various Texas Counties); Supervising Inspector General (NYC); Assistant District Attorney (NYC); Lieutenant Commander, JAGC, US Navy
- Private Sector: Associate Attorney focusing on complex bankruptcy litigation at Weil, Gotshal & Manges and Moore & Peterson, P.C., both in Dallas